Wednesday, February 21, 2007

E-Mail and Internet Projects

E-mail is an excellent way to help sharpen writing/computer keyboarding skills with a high interest area for students. I have made e-mail available to my students in various ways. Often, students will communicate home through e-mail when they have made a special accomplishment or in center time they are allowed to write a note home. Even though e-mail is often very casual, I use these opportunities as times to teach about letter writing skills. Students can also learn the basics of word processing and keyboarding through using e-mail. Furthermore, students can develop safe e-mail relationships and pen pals. We often communicate with students that have moved. Through pen pals, students can learn about different schools, different states, or even different countries. All of these benefits can be achieved and the students are excited to participate. To me, that is always one of the greatest benefits. When you have willing and excited students, so much more learning can take place.

1 comment:

April said...

I like how you allow your students to send an e-mail home to their parents to communicate positive things that happen. It's so hard for us to take the time to write those positive notes. I'm sure parents appreciate the positive communication and are thrilled to hear about it from their own children. What a motivation for kids to learn keyboarding skills! Does your school provide e-mail addresses for your students or did you sign them up for e-mail? I guess if I did it, I would have my kids send a message from my own account if I couldn't get e-mail accounts for them.